Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Soaked Granola

Soaked Granola

I recently tried to make some homemade soaked granola.  It turned out very good and I wanted to share the recipe for those that wanted to try it also.  I originally got the recipe from a great blog called passionate homemaking.  I really like this blog because it has some great recipes and lots of other information.  The recipe they had is listed here.  My recipe which was adapted the passionate homemaking recipe is listed below
  • 8 cups rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 2-2 1/2 cups raw milk (only enough to make it moist)
  • 1/2 cup raw honey
  • 1/2 cup evaporated palm sugar (although next time I would probably substitute maple syrup for this.  You can use any dark sugar and it would work fine including brown sugar)  
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 4 tsp cinnamon
  • 4 tsp vanilla extract
The following is what I put in my granola but any combination of things in your cupboard could work including nuts, raisins, dates, coconut......the possibilities are endless!
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup dried cranberries 
  • 1 cup sliced almonds
  • 1 cup pecans
melt together the coconut oil,  butter, and honey.  Add to granola and then add the sugar, spices, and milk and mix together until all the granola is wet

Let this mixture sit on the counter to culture for 12-24 hours

Then put in a dehydrator or the oven on 200 degrees for 2-4 hours or until it is crunchy.  I would recommend putting parchment paper down....I made the mistake of not doing that :)

Add your favorite ingredients and mix

The finished product!  Very good with some cold raw milk or over some yogurt....enjoy!!



1 comment: