Thursday, February 24, 2011

Recovering a moses basket

Before I recovered it.......

 After I recovered it



I am trying to be more of a seamstress in my life.  I have done lots of baby blankets but beyond that I have not done much.  My husband got me a sewing machine for Christmas which I absolutely love.  I had a complicated older machine and he got me a simple machine that just goes without all the hassle.   I had gotten this moses basket from a consignment store and it worked good, I would just put a blanket in it because the fabric would never stay up on the sides.  I have to say that without a pattern or much direction it turned out ok.  Being a perfectionist in some ways I can see many flaws but it it is A LOT better then it was.  First I took apart the old cover to use as a template.  I knew that the sides had to be taller, since this one did not work, but I just guessed on the measurements.

Then I pinned the "template" to my new fabric.  I took some leftover fabric for a liner and cut out the liner and the soft fabric together so that it would match up. The bottom (under the mattress) I left as just the liner


After assembling the sides with the lining and the bottom I covered the mattress by just cutting it out with the template and creating a cover. I left one side open so that I could get the mattress out for cleaning.  I could put velcro or a small zipper but it works ok with it open too so that I can clean it in case of any accidents.
Then, I took some leftover batting and doubled it up to create a barrier between the basket and the baby.  I just stuck it in there and put the cover over it.
I was going to put elastic on the edge to hold it in place but that did not really work because my measurements must have been a little off so instead of redoing the entire thing I took some leftover ribbon from my mobile project and sewed it on to create some ties.  This worked great and I love how it turned out.  I know it is not the best but it works for us.











3 comments:

  1. That turned out really well. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Nicole.....good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so stinkin cute. Enjoy this time you have right now:)

    ReplyDelete